quarta-feira, 6 de janeiro de 2010

Emphasizing with Auxiliary Verbs

Welcome Back to Flabbergasting English Blog.

Firstly, I would very much like to wish y'all a great year full of happiness and resolutions. For those who forgot, resolutions are those promises we make for the year such as: I promise I won't eat junkie food and I will start working out at the gym near my house, so forth.

AUXILIARY VERBS have been used by English speakers since the language turned out to be spoken. However, they have undergone some turbulences lately and have been seen as different kinds of verbs. Those are used also as an emphasizer of actions in positive sentences. It does not matter the verb tense.

EMPHASIZING BY USING AUXILIARY VERBS

i.e: "I love you". This sentence can be emphasized by adding the word "really" to it = "I really love you." So far so good, but where can I use the auxiliary verb?

As we already know, the sentence in vogue is in Simple Present, thus the auxiliaries are "do" or "does" , according to the personal pronoun (person). For the person "I" it is used the auxiliary "do". So as to emphasize it, all you have to do is to put "do" in-between the person and the verb just like this: I DO LOVE YOU

I missed you around last night.
I did miss you around last night.

She hates bitter chocolate.
She does hate bitter chocolate.

Be honest!
Do be honest! (Different this one, isn't it?)

Yeah, that's it for today! Hope y'all enjoy it and DO use it!

Rodrigo Pelegrini Honorato
ESL Teacher
rphingle@yahoo.com.br



2 comentários: